Amazing Tips On How to Write Compare and Contrast Essays
Compare and Contrast essays are some of the most common types of compositions in many school curriculums. These essays play a big role in helping students gain comparative and analytical skills. Moreover, they also assist learners to make valid claims about a particular subject. Choosing a compelling topic of discussion is a vital step in writing such essays; this will help you with creating a good first impression by grabbing the attention of your readers.
By definition, a compare and contrast essay is a type of composition that describes ways in which two subjects are similar and different.
There are two styles that you can choose to structure your compare and contrast essay; the point by point structure and the block method. To help you better understand these two techniques of writing, here’s a vivid illustration of both styles.
- The introduction paragraph - this is where you introduce your essay. Always ensure that you mention the purpose of your essay.
- Object 1 - Similarities and difference on a certain topic
- Object 1 - Similarities and difference on another topic
- Transition Paragraph - This is a paragraph that harmoniously takes readers from object 1 that has been discussed to object 2.
- Object 2 - Similarities and difference on a certain topic
- Object 2 - Similarities and difference on another topic
- Conclusion - This is a paragraph that summarizes the whole paper. Ensure you restate your thesis in the concluding paragraph.
Point by Point Method
- Introduction paragraph - this is the initial part of the essay which also carries the thesis statement.
- Point 1 - outline the similarities and differences of both Objects
- Point 2 - outline the similarities and differences of both Objects
- Point 3 - outline the similarities and differences of both Objects
- Conclusion - you should end your entire paper by confidently restating your thesis since you’ve already discussed your topics in detail.
Possible Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
When it comes to choosing a suitable topic for your essay, It’s important to go for one that you’re extremely passionate about. Here are some topical ideas you can explore before you start writing your paper.
- Which are the similarities and differences between Android and iOS
- Similarities and differences between psychiatry and psychology
- Compare and contrast natural aging VS plastic surgery
- Similarities and differences between 2D or 3D films
- The comparison and contrast between reading a book and watching a movie
- How do coffee and tea compare and contrast
- Similarities and difference between polytheism and monotheism
- What are the similarities and contrast of street workout VS going to the gym?
- Compare and contrast real dating VS online dating
- The Similarities and differences between introverts and extroverts
Compare and contrast essays are some of the most interesting compositions to write. Besides being easy to understand, they also have simple structures that students can implement in their writing effortlessly. One commendable feature about such type of writing is that they greatly help students to learn vital analytical skills. Following the guide mentioned above will definitely help you in writing an outstanding compare and contrast essay.